Monday, February 21, 2011

The Scottish Play

I've done it again, read the second book in a series before the first. I did it with Christi Phillips mysteries, and in the case of the Sarah Woolson novels I started with the third book in the series. I blame the publishes partly because numbers or an itemized list of titles would be helpful. The library does it on their database, providing a complete list of books in a series, why not publishing companies? This is especially true in series with similar names, the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries which all have 'dead' in the title immediately come to mind. Deanna Raybourn wrote on her blog that after the first three books in her Lady Julia Grey mysteries (Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Snactuary, and Silent on the Moor) her publishers were afraid of just that and switched from the word 'silent' to a new run of three books featuring the word 'dark' (The Dark Road to Darjeeling was released in October and the fifth book The Dark Inquiry will be released in July). Okay tirade over, I've made my point, on to the actual book.

I came for the Macbeth (in case you didn't know its supposed bad luck to say the name in a theater, so its referred to as "the Scottish play"). Its always been a favorite of mine, since I first read it in a Shakespeare for kids picture book, I remember the site of Macbeth's head on a pole at the end made quite an impression on me. I've seen the play performed, on numerous films (including the disturbing Japanese Throne of Blood when I was in high school), and have read some retellings, including Rebecca Reisert's The Third Witch which was one of our summer reading assignments in high school to prepare us for reading the play later that year. There is something primal and satisfying about it as a story, its shocking and bloody, magical and a little disturbing. Carrell's book includes all of these attributes putting her main character right in the thick of things in Scotland, where the events are said to have really happened before the Norman conquest in 1066. The element of magic is there with modern day Druids and magical items. THe blood is there with staged human sacrifices and murders staged to look like tarot cards. 

Not having read the first Kate Stanley mystery, Interred With Their Bones did not leave me confused in the least, the only part I was a little lost on was her now failed relationship with Ben Pearl, which was danced around but not really well explained, it plays a relatively minor part in the story as a whole so don't fret about it. The body count was staggering with something like ten bodies piling up by the end, which puts it a little on the extreme side. Carrell is a Shakespearian scholar and writes like one, if you're not willing to learn the history behind the story don't bother, I slogged through most but confess I eventually stopped reading the historical flashbacks because they only confused me. THey do nothing to further the plot, and believe me you'll understand the story just fine if you don't read them. I think its just Carrell indulging herself in a period piece.

I like it enough to go back and read the first novel, which I'll probably do in the near future. It will be curious to see where the series goes, I mean how far can you take mysteries about Shakespeare in the modern world. THese are not the lightest of reads, aside from just the history you need to have more than a passing knowledge of Shakespeare or you'll be lost, Carrell assumes her readers know their Bard. Two thirds of the jokes and illusions will go over your head unless you dust off that unabridged Shakespeare, or at least re-watch a little Kenneth Branaugh. Yum.