Saturday, January 1, 2011

Year One: 2007

Books Read Starting January 1, 2007

 

1.) The Pale Blue Eye                                    Louis Bayard

2.) Mirror, Mirror                                    Gregory Maguire

3.) Lost                                                Gregory Maguire

4.) The Lost Continent                        Bill Bryson

5.) The Bell Jar                                    Sylvia Plath

6.) Breakfast at Tiffany’s                        Truman Capote

7.) Son of a Witch                                    Gregory Maguire

8.) In Cold Blood                                    Truman Capote

9.) Witches of Eastwick                         John Updike

10.) Mr. Timothy                                    Louis Bayard

11.) The Lost Gardens                        Anthony Eglin

12.) The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell  Lillian Jackson Braun

13.) Without You                                    Anthony Rapp

14.) Naked In The Promised Land            Lillian Falderman

15.) Truman Capote                                    George Plimpton

16.) The Mixquahuala Letters            Ana Castillo

17.) What Angels Fear                        C.S. Harris

18.) When Gods Die                                    C.S. Harris

19.) The Collar                                    Jonathan Englert

20.) Hannibal Rising                                    Thomas Harris

21.) Sisters                                                John J. Fialka

22.) Foder’s Guide to the DaVinci Code  Editors et al

23.) Notes From A Small Island            Bill Bryson

24.) The Beekeeper’s Apprentice            Laurie R. King

25.) Our Fathers                                    David France

26.) A Monstrous Regiment of Women  Laurie R. King

27.) The Town That Forgot How To Breathe Kenneth J. Harvey

28.) A Letter of Mary                                    Laurie R. King

29.) The Moor                                      Laurie R. King

30.) The Blue Rose                                    Anthony Eglin

31.) O Jerusalem                                    Laurie R. King

32.) The Next Thing On My List            Jill Smolinski

33.) Justice Hall                                    Laurie R. King

34.) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  J.K.Rowling

35.) The Game                                     Laurie R. King

36.) Locked Rooms                                     Laurie R. King

37.) Lake of Sorrows                                    Erin Hart

38.) Forever                                                Pete Hamill

39.) The Bishop and the Missing L Train Andrew Greeley

40.) The Dark Half                                    Stephen King

41.) The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers   Lillian Jackson Braun

42.) The Bishop In The West Wing     Andrew Greeley

43.) The Angel, the Shepherd, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog            Dave Barry

44.) Falling Angels                                    Tracy Chevalier

45.) Burning Bright                                    Tracy Chevalier

46.) Darkly Dreaming Dexter            Jeff Lindsey

47.) Dearly Devoted Dexter                        Jeff Lindsey

48.) The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon  Stephen King

49.) Thy Brother’s Wife                        Andrew Greeley

50.) The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of Sainte Germaine  Andrew Greeley

51.) The Bishop Goes to The University Andrew Greeley

52.) Irish Gold                                    Andrew Greeley

53.) Irish Lace                                    Andrew Greeley

54.) Irish Whiskey                                    Andrew Greeley

55.) Dexter In The Dark                        Jeff Lindsey

56.) Needful Things                                    Stephen King

57.) Priests In Love                                    Barbara Anderson

58.) The Monsters                                    Dorothy and Thomas Hooper

59.) The Poems of Dr. Zhivago            Boris Pasternak

60.) Ghostwalk                                    Rebecca Stott

Looking back at the list I see a few trends in my reading. First I had a strong fascination with religious texts, which I can attribute to a couple of things. First I was taking several religion classes within Anthropology (my major field of study) and secondly I was very curious about religious life in particular, and for a while was considering being a nun. I continue to be strong in my faith, and do read a lot about all different kinds of religions, not just Roman Catholicism. Closely linked to this, I read a lot of Andrew Greeley. If you're not familiar with him he's a Catholic priest who writes both fiction and nonfiction, he's up there now, he'll be 83 next month, but is a fascinating and prolific writer. I first read his book The Catholic Imagination when I was a freshman in high school, and it has continued to shape how I see religion ever since. He is outspoken and controversial, staunchly apposes the war in Iraq and has spoken out against popes and the abuse scandal, and his fiction is liberally spiced with sex. If ever a non-Catholic were to read literature by a priest, he's it.

I also went through a fling with Truman Capote for a few weeks, both fiction and nonfiction. He's a bit of an an enigma, and after I saw the film Capote I itched for more, it wasn't a long trend, but I confess I continue to be fascinated by the little man. I related my trip to Holcomb, the site of the In Cold Blood murders of the Clutter family in my blog Subjects and Objects .

A number of author first popped up on my radar this year that I have formed a devoted following of, and will continue to show up on lists in the future. Laurie R. King, author of the Mary Russell mysteries is the most prevalent (she's Sherlock Holmes' wife, much younger, that he meets after his retirement to Sussex to be a beekeeper) I picked this up on a whim from a display at the library with a focus on Sherlock Holmes. Louis Bayard, Anthony Eglin and C.S. Harris are three other noteworthy authors I started reading in 2007 and have followed ever since. I'm sure I'll talk about all three as time goes on. Where Shadows Dance, C.S. Harris' sixth Sebastian St. Cyr mystery is due out March 1 right around he same time that The School of Night, Bayard's latest novel comes on the scene. As for Eglin, nothing new from him since 2009's The Trail of the Wild Rose, his English Garden mysteries are not my usual forte, but I look forward to them because they bring me back to the days of Miss Marple with their quintessential Britishness.

As frequently as trends start, others end. I read Gregory Maguire's books voraciously in January of that year, however I never really got all that into them. I picked up A Lion Among Men, the third book in his Wicked saga, on sale in 2008 and it still sits unread on my shelf. I feel sometimes his books are just too much for me to follow, and invest the time. They're good books, but just beyond me, both in terms of effort and comprehension. Jeff Lindsey, author of the Dexter books also caught me interest, unfortunately (shameful confession coming) I began watching the television show and the books were so far removed that I sometimes get lost in the plot. I got the last book from the library, but sadly it was returned unread. These mysteries were entertaining however, I hope I become sufficiently motivated to go back and get into them again. 

Lastly, Lillian Jackson Braun, who I first read in the fifth grade, when I bought The Cat Who Went Into The Closet at a book fair (this was elementary school mind you) and have been a devoted fan ever since. This was probably a case of a book that was far too mature for me at the time, I remember reading the word brothel and having to look it up in the dictionary because I had no idea what it meant. The Cat Who had 60 Whiskers was the 29th book in the series, and none have been published since. LJB was secretive for years about her true age, however in 2005 she revealed the year of her birth to be 1913, which puts her at a hearty 98. The Cat Who Smelled Smoke, her 30th novel has been cancelled for publication by Putnam. There are rumors she's not up to writing it herself, and rumblings about a ghost writer. As a longtime Qwill fan, I would love to see another installment, however I'll understand if the old girl wants to turn in her typewriter.