Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Brief History of Reading, In My World

Starting on January 1, 2007, I began to keep lists of the books that I had read. I had always been a reader, for as long as I could remember, and quite a prolific one. When I was younger I read a lot of books that were probably much too mature for me, now I probably read books that are too immature for me. Always, however, I read. So now as I enter year five of keeping lists I've decided to take a different approach and start blogging about it. If for no other reason, than the fact that the books I read are important to me and my life.

Now I never claimed to be any kind of literary expert, I simply enjoy reading. Not everything I read is great literature, in fact most of what I read is no where even close to generally being considered great literature. I tend to read more fiction than nonfiction, not because I prefer it, but rather I find nonfiction is something I dip in and out of, rather than sit down and read cover to cover. My list only includes the books I finish, so it only includes about a third of the books that I've actually started.

I seldom follow literary trends, so my list is in no way a recitation of the top sellers or latest hot books. I pick books off the shelves, some are new, many decades old. Often I'll go through a streak where I read every book written by an author, these occasions are easy to pick out. I follow certain authors, both in series and those who write independent novels, many I also follow online in their blogs. I read across several genres, including a good deal of young adult literature, though some I don't really stray into all that often, such as science fiction and westerns, nothing against them they just don't tend to draw me. It's an eclectic mix for the most part, and I've never found anything wrong with that. 

To start off the trend I plan to post, over the next few days the complete lists of what I've been reading over the past few years, starting with 2007 and ending with 2010 that has just ended. The complete list of the four years totals 426 books, and since I've been keeping track the number I read per year has climbed. Whether or not the list is responsible for this I couldn't really say. My life has changed over the past four years, and my reading habits with it. I've gone from a college student to the workforce, some years I've traveled more than others, which affects my reading patterns. The reading load of a college student is heavy, and certainly cuts in on time for pleasure reading. I make time for it, however I know many can't. My sister-in-law told me not too long ago that she hasn't read a book for pleasure since she left high school, which considering that she now has a Psych.D. and a four month old baby and is almost thirty is a very long time. 

I find peace in reading, it helps me fall asleep at night and escape my day. I don't look down on those who don't read everyday, every week, or even once a year. That being said, I also have trouble understanding how they do it. A co-worker of mine had this statement posted on her wall, and I've always found it a handy way to explain why I read:

"I read because one life isn't enough, and in the pages of a book I can be anybody.
I read because the words that build the story become mine, to build my life.
I read not for happy endings, but for new beginnings, I'm just beginning myself and wouldn't mind a map.
I read because I have friends who don't, and young though they are, they're beginning to run out of materials.
I read because every journey begins at the library, and its time for me to start packing.
I read because one of these days I'm going to get out of this town, and I'm going to go everywhere and meet everyone, and I want to be ready."
-Richard Peck, Zihuatanejo, Mexico 1990

And so I read.